- applications . The Fairchild FL77944 can scale upwards to suit higher power applications well above 120W. This is simply done by wiring products in parallel. It also reduces the number of different ICs that lighting manufacturers need to keep in inventory.
- Elimination of electrolytic capacitors . System designs with the FL77944 can eliminate the electrolytic caps, transformers and inductance coils. This reduces both the bill-of-materials (BOM) costs and the overall complexity compared to designs using SMPS.
- Reduced board space . Locating the controller IC on the same PCBs as the LEDs, aided by the absence of electrolytic caps, transformers and inductance coils enables more compact lighting designs.
- Tunable Flicker reduction . With the addition of external energy storage capacitors, the flicker index can be tuned to application acceptable levels while meeting PF > 0.9 and THD < 20%.
- Improved reliability and lifetime . LED products based on the FL77944 should be more reliable and last significantly longer than SMPS-based products as there are fewer points of failure. Eliminating electrolytic capacitors removes the most common source of failures in SMPS-based products.
To sum up the FL77944 value proposition: It is the simplest, most cost effective lighting solution currently on the market. It provides best-in-class light quality that meets high PF and low THD requirements, along with various dimming principles. It is suited for indoor and outdoor applications, including down light, tube light, high bay, flood light and street light systems.
Evaluation Board Now Available
At the recent PCIM Europe trade fair (10 - 12 May 2016 in Nuremberg, Germany) Fairchild also demonstrated the FEBFL77944 evaluation board for systems designers. Visit Fairchild’s LED Direct AC Drive blog, lighting solutions guide and Direct AC Drive website for detailed product information, datasheets and evaluation boards.
About the Author:
John Wiggenhorn is General Manager, Offline Power Business Unit,